Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v005.n013

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 08:28:02 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

mantis-

Thanks for warm greeting and second op. Here are two questions, one
specific, but a bit sneaky since it tries to get 3 bits of info for the
price of one, the second fairly profound. Take your pick.

1) Does the woman's scarf found in Mattak's room in Oosik's house belong to
Hyacinth? (Of course he could just say "no" and leave me profoundly
frustrated as to homeowning identity.)

2) Is the Outsider a form of Severian (leaving open the possibility that he
includes others [as, indeed, does Severian])?

-alga-

---

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:25:29 +0000

Question for Mr. Wolfe:

   It's pretty broadly indicated that Silk was gestated from a frozen 
embroyo as Mucor was.   This has some nice symbolic effects ("virgin
birth", the hero as having unusual origins, etc.).  Does Silk have any
human engineered, extraordinary abilities?  

   (Possible Lupine hint:  he knew Hyacinth's name before she was 
introduced, and felt that they had made a non-physical contact.)

   Please pass along my compliments to Mr. Wolfe as one of the most 
creative, skilled, and theologically fascinating writers I've ever read.

                 Thanks,

                           Kieran Mullen

 Kieran Mullen                         email: kieran at mail.nhn.ou.edu
 Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        phone: (405) 325-3961
 The University of Oklahoma            FAX: (405) 325-7557
 Norman, OK 73019, USA                 http://www.nhn.uoknor.edu/~kieran/