Subject: (whorl) Book of Gold fanzine

From: Ron Crown, St. Louis University <crownrw at slu.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 12:51:09 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

On Sat, 31 May 1997 Matthew Freestone wrote:
> From: Matthew Freestone <matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk>
> In the now long defunct fanzine, 'The Book of Gold', Jeremy Crampton
> refers to the same aspect in Wolfe's work as 'holographic presentation'

Matthew, do you (or anyone else for that matter) know how many issues of 
'The Book of Gold' were produced?  I received a copy of #2 but never heard of 
any more after that.  I'm especially interested in chasing down more obscure
secondary bibliography on Wolfe as I have been keeping a file of such items
for quite a while.

There were also some articles in Vector that I came across while living
in the UK in the early 80's but I'm sure there have probably been others
since then.  Does anyone know an easy way (relatively) to get 
access to such information?  (That question must sound odd coming from a 
librarian!)

I have ambitions of (someday when I get the time)  producing an annotated
bibliography of secondary works on Wolfe (of which I wish there were more).

Ron Crown
Saint Louis University
crownrw at slu.edu

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 19:10:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #7958559 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

(Note to Ranjit: the original message quoted by Ron Crown and Charles
Dye [raster] never arrived in my mailbox [to best of my knowledge]
nor does it appear in the archives.  Just to let you know!)

Ron Crown,

Is your question about secondary works related to a desire for an
index of them or of obtaining the artifacts themselves?

Both, obviously--but I mean, "Urth-Man Extraordinary" has a very good
index.  You mentioned "Vector" and "early 80s"--I see listings for
Vector #118 (2-84) and  #119 (4-84), as well as Vector #65 (5/6-73!).

As to securing possession of these fabled items, I have no specific
insights.

To the best of my knowledge, aided by "Urth-Man Extraordinary," Jeremy
Crampton only produced two issues of "The Book of Gold."  I, too, have
only a copy of number 2.  Jeremy is online, I believe . . .
(jcrampton at mason1.gmu.edu) if you want to ask him about it.  Who
knows--he might even agree to upload the text(s).

=mantis=