Subject: (whorl) Next Train a-loading

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:14:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #5017229 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET03#

Everybody,

The next batch of questions for Gene Wolfe.  Train leaves in one
week, on Friday 27.  People who didn't ask a question in the last
batch get priority, but if we don't have "enough" questions I may
throw open the gate on a first-come-first-served basis toward the
end.  Or maybe we'll just let a short train go out?

So far, the train has four out of fifteen:

16. Kieran Mullen, re: Silk bioengineered skills.
17. Peter Cash, re: airship incident.
18. Paul Duggan, re: voided cross/gammadion description in detail.
19. Robert Borski, re: etymology of Mamelta.

Passengers may refine their questions or change them.  Sooner rather
than later increases likelihood that corrections will be in train on
time.

=mantis=

---

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:07:51 +0000

My suggestion for the next wolfe train. Please nix this if it seems trivial.
I'll gladly concede to a more crucial question. Your call Mantis.

What was Wolfe trying to achieve  in the Talus Factory Tour scene?  What
essential narrative freight does it carry? It seems much ado about
nothing--all this detailed discussion of how to make the optimum Talus and
the bartering about tactics, the order and price? All of which amounts to
nothing in the greater scheme of things.What upsets Oreb so much that he
screams? Was it Maytera's hand being repaired, as someone suggested here?
It's just a puzzeling scene for me.

best

Patrick