Subject: (whorl) Possible caboose

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:30:38 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Here are possible additional cars for the train.  In the interest of
having a full cargo, I am happy to donate any of them to someone
temporarily bereft of puzzlement.

"Mint states that she had to give up many things, 'five of them very
great,' to become a sibyl.  Can you tell us what those five things
were?"

"There are two places in _Exodus_ where you seem to have switched Mint
and Marble. One is in chapter 14, where Siyuf addresses Marble, but it's
Mint that's there.  The other is in "My Defense," where Horn sees Mint
in the tunnels, but it should be Marble.  Given the merger of Marble and
Rose, it makes me wonder if something is going on; or is this just an
auctorial or editorial error?"

"When Silk was wounded by the bomb, did he die and did Quetzal revive
him? If not, why did Quetzal lie so transparently about what happened?"

Enough for now.  As the late Jimmy Durante said, "I got a million of
'em!"

     -- vizcacha
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

ps: I'm rereading _Castleview_ and finding it (as remembered) very hard
going.  Oddly, one thing that makes it hard is the mundanity of the
characters' names.  I can't keep them all straight without taking
extensive notes!