Subject: (whorl) Christ & Cant

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:59:03 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

On Moses:

	Way back at the beginning I submitted a long list of gospel parallels to
the Silk narrative. I believe the list could easily be lengthened. Of
course, there are other things in the narrative (Plato's cave). Perhaps
those dubious of the parallels to the gospels should call up the archives
and interact with my points. At this point, at least, I'd have to say that
one is straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel to prefer Moses to Jesus
as narrative background.

On Cant:

	Yea! I was in one of those discount books stores, and found "The
Wordsworth Dictionary of the Underworld" by Eric Partridge (shelved with
lots of other paperback Wordsworth dictionaries). For $2.99. So I looked up
"dimber," and there it was! And "shag" and "cully" too. So I bought it.
	I ain't got the time to re-read the four novels right now and look them
all up. So:
	A. You might want to try and track down this volume for yourself; and/or
	B. If somebody is re-reading and wants to make a list of terms, I'll look
them up in my dictionary and post what they mean. That is: YOU re-read the
book and make the list, and I'll give you the definitions.

Nutria