Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v007.n004

From: David Langford <ansible at cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:16:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

In-Reply-To: <199707130650.XAA15095 at lists1.best.com>

Alice Turner:

> But...Pike's ghost? Aaaargh! He never answered the artful codicil...who 
> or what is it?
> This is a true mystery.

Part of my own tooth-gnashing over this resulted from the fact that the 
ghost or "ghost" might just still be one of the inhumi. Wolfe has merely 
told us that it wasn't Quetzal! (And, earlier on, confirmed that Quetzal 
wasn't the only one aboard the Whorl.) Ah, the blinding light of 
hindsight.

The answer that gave me most relief was the bit about the =accidental= 
Mint/Marble mixup. That one was hurting my brain.

Mantis:

> Now I know you didn't mean to suggest that there was a "dumb
> question" on the list, but I'm going to defend it as if you actually
> said it.

Thanks for putting it like that. I'm conscious of having privately 
formulated many, many dumb questions about BotNS and BotLS....

Dave

David Langford
ansible at cix.co.uk | http://www.ansible.demon.co.uk/