Subject: (whorl) Mint for Marble, Marble for Mint; Five Sacrifices; Marble/Rose

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:48:35 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

I'd like to thank Gene for his forbearance and kindness in answering our
question trains.  If this is the last one, so be it -- few authors would
be nice enough to do this at all, much less with such grace.

Far better the time should be spent on _Short Sun_!

As for Mint/Marble, he should realize that he makes so few mistakes that
when we see one (even if it's nearly obviously a mistake), we have to
think about it for a while!

All in all, a fine set of answers.

I wonder if as part of the liturgy (ceremony? whatever) of becoming a
nun in today's church, one specifically renounces the things Gene
listed?

To Patrick:

I think Rose has been cannibalizing Marble's parts for decades.  I sent
a suggestion to that effect a week ago which seems to have made the
"each message" list subscription but not the "digest" version.  When
Marble cannibalizes Rose's body for parts, she doesn't "take" them, she
"reclaims" them, for example.

   -- vizcacha
    (david_lebling at avid.com)

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:43:57 +0000

> nun in today's church, one specifically renounces the things Gene

It depends on what order the nun is taking vows in.  I know at least some
orders take vows of "poverty, chastity, and obedience."  

-Rostrum