Subject: (whorl) Welcome Wombat

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 22:31:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #1260418 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET#

Wombat,

Re: Whorl flight time.  It appears to have been 332 years subjective
time (III,173) and 1000 years objective time (III,242); which in turn
suggests an average speed of around .95 c (95% of light speed).  (Time
compression, doncha know.)

Re: arrival time.  It seems that the time of the theocide would be
the best marker of when the Whorl arrived in the Blue/Green system,
and that would be about thirty years before the action of THE BOOK OF
THE LONG SUN.  OTOH, Quetzal became head of the chapter thirty-three
years ago (see character lists), so maybe this is a better marker?
Start at shipboard year 299 and count backward enough for an
anonymous beef-tea sipping augur to rise through the ranks to become
head of the chapter.  (The last guy died at his desk, you say?  My,
my, my!)

Re: NYRSF, maybe you could post a bibliography of Wolfe related
articles published in NYRSF through the years?  Along with ordering
information!

=mantis=

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 11:03:32 +0000

>compression, doncha know.)

I'll have to check those references out. Does my memory about Rose/Marble's
decimal point ring any bells?

>OTOH, Quetzal became head of the chapter thirty-three

I would think so, given Wolfe's explicit statement that Pas did not know of
the inhumi. 

>articles published in NYRSF through the years?  Along with ordering

Actually, we're preparing a series of internal ads along that exact idea.
The only one we've done so far is Delany, with PKD the obvious next; Wolfe
should be right after that, since I can't think of anyone else who has
received so much coverage in the magazine.

I love your "Autopsy of SF", by the way--that'll be in 110. 

--
Wombat
Kevin Maroney		kmaroney at crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor	New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html