Subject: (whorl) Copyrights R Us

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 00:01:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #3510806 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

Wombat,

You are absolutely right that these articles are copyrighted, and
furthermore, they are not unavailable in their original forms.  OTOH,
these people have been going to great lengths and are still coming up
empty handed--"Foundation" is apparently hard to come by in the US,
short of subscription, and we've recently read of Nutria's frustrating
experience in combing the Worldcity of NYC looking for "NYRSF."  It
struck me, suddenly, that alga has an essay that Nutria wants, and
Nutria has an couple of essays that alga wants, and the answer seemed
too easy.

It is not the best solution, however.  The best solution would be if
Amazon.com or Chris Drumm could get these things for them.  Or, failing
that, the second best would be if some person (not me) could take down
all the orders for various hard to find items, make big bulk orders
directly from the publishers, then, upon receiving the boxes, break
them open and sort all contents into individual packages.

Then everyone will have paid for an authentic artifact to treasure
and keep; they will have avoided the difficulties in finding and
securing these items; publishers will be rewarded and encouraged;
merchants will be rewarded and encouraged; and, most importantly from
my point of view, the consumers will be able to =talk= about the
articles (finally!).

(Speaking of which, I should probably go back through the archives to
find the address of the person who offered a photocopy of Jeremy
Crampton's "Book of Gold No. 1" fanzine because I don't have it and
there is basically no other way of getting ahold of this material.)

=mantis=

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 11:26:20 +0000

At 12:01 AM 9/9/97 GMT, you wrote:
>...and we've recently read of Nutria's frustrating
>experience in combing the Worldcity of NYC looking for "NYRSF."  

Believe me, I find it equally frustrating that The "New York" Review of SF
can't be purchased off-the-rack in its home state. However, copies are
readily available by mail-order, with no postage charge.

>It

True enough. I wasn't actually terribly upset; I was just bringing people's
attention to the moral questions of the matter. 

>Amazon.com or Chris Drumm could get these things for them.  

Tell me more. Does Amazons carry magazines? Remind me who Chris Drumm is;
the name is familiar. 

>there is basically no other way of getting ahold of this material.)

I have copies of both issues, and I think I even know where they are. Are
these not available from the author? (I got mine from Wolfe many years
ago.) If not, I'll make copies available. 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190