Subject: (whorl) Typos

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:44:03 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 m.driussi at genie.com wrote:

> In the other direction, I still find it hard to believe that the
> Marble/Mint merger was just the two typos Wolfe says it was.  Even though
> I don't know what a Marble/Mint merger would mean, let alone how it
> could be done!

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's any chance those typos will be
fixed when they release Exodus in paperback.

-Rostrum

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:47:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #6279912 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

Rostrum,

These days I hold my breath and hope that more typos aren't added.
<cue: ranting about omnibus of Vance's PLANET OF ADVENTURE> Your
mention of it makes me think fleetingly of submitting a list of clear
typos (nevermind those two stealthies), but nah, that would only make
me more crazy.

newt,

Interesting point, re: the unambiguous/beat-reader-over-head with
Christianity mode of C.S. Lewis.  Can we take this a little further?
My personal sense of Cordwainer Smith is that his work is somewhat
closer to the mode of Lewis than the mode of Wolfe (I readily admit I
prefer Smith over Lewis).  Would you agree?  (How about you, alga?)
Not to denigrate any of these authors, just arranging them in a
spectrum.  (The Chesterton of THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY to my mind is
definitely at the Wolfe end of the spectrum.)

=mantis=

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:16:58 +0000

>typos (nevermind those two stealthies), but nah, that would only make

	Could you or someone post the places where the typos in Long Sun are located?
>prefer Smith over Lewis).  Would you agree?  (How about you, alga?)

	Jumping in, I myself much prefer Smith to Lewis, and agree that he is not
ambiguous (though sometimes difficult). Thematically he is (was) very close
to Wolfe, but stylistically quite different, no?

Nutricious