Subject: (whorl) C. Smith ranking

From: Alice Turner <al at ny.playboy.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:07:51 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

My first encounter with Smith was in an old Judy Merril anthology with "A
Planet Named Shayol." It knocked me sideways---and I was far from being an
infernologist at the time!

Agreed: start with the mature work. Don't forget "The Dead Lady of Clown
Town." Or even "Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons." Don't read those Casher
O'Neill novellas first as the Rat suggests---they're for after you know the
score.

-alga-

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:40:58 +0000

At 12:07 PM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>"A Planet Named Shayol"... knocked me sideways... Don't forget "The Dead
Lady >of Clown Town." Or even "Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons." 

Yes yes yes. There's just so much good Smith. :-)

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190