Subject: (whorl) Introduction, and a leading question

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 00:48:43 +0000

Are Vironese names allowed to consist of more than one
word provided they are still real animals / plants / minerals?
Some time ago I heard a researcher on the radio describing her
experiment in a Spectacled Bear, native to South America,
was provided with some fruit suspended out of reach, and a
long stick. The bear stood the stick on end and tried to climb
it, and looked very put out when it toppled over. The conclusion:
"bears are not universally intelligent". This was a male bear, BTW;
a female bear held the stick and used it to knock down the fruit.

Now, I was quite pleased with myself for working out why Rose
called her child Blood (Lake, ch 2, when she's thinking about how
she used to play the flute), and who the father might be. But having
had to read _Nightside the Long Sun_ three times before I realized
how a mountain could throw a shadow into a valley when the sun was
overhead, I shall sign myself, your fellow Wolfe fan,

Spectacled Bear.

P.S. Why does everyone only ever mention the *first* appearance of
Patera Pike's ghost?

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/