Subject: (whorl) Another tip of the hat

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 00:05:00 +0000

Brain,

Yay!  Stuff looks =great=!  "Scrape out" and "Sweatin' ken,"
excellent!

Re: "Card in a cart," this is used in regard to Orchid's proposal for
Silk to have recreational sex "on the house" (er, free of charge):

"We're closed Hieraxday, so not then either.  But come in any other
day and I'll give you a pass.  How's that? . . . You know what I
mean, right, Patera?  Not me [whom you will dally with].  I mean with
any of the girls, whoever you want.  If you'd like to give her a
little something for herself, that's all right.  But you don't have
to, and there won't be anything [paid] to the house."  Orchid
considered again.  "Well, a card in a cart, huh?  All right, that's a
lay [i.e., a shag <g>] a month for a year."

So maybe all she is saying is that the total value of the gift is one
card?  "A card in a cart" being a fragment of some whorlish phrase
like "A card in a cart is worth two in a bush" (if you know what I
mean and I think you do, nudge-nudge, wink-wink)?

Re: Dimberdamber nanny nipper.  Okay!  "Adroit coat-cutter thief"
looks very good, especially as a coat-cutter thief must be pretty
adroit to begin with.

Re: "Pure keg."  Agg!  The volume numbers are switched!  The two
citations should be (III, 115.7) and (II, 213.3).

"All right, she [Scylla] said it [about looting the wealthy quarter]
and I believed it, and now I [Auk] got to let her know I'm the pure keg,
too" (II, 213.3).

In this case the sense seems to be "one who acknowleges the favor of
another with a favor in kind."

Bustard speaking in Auk's mind: "Give me the pure keg, sprat.  You
want me to winnow you out?  If I'm going to help, I got to know"
(III, 115.7).

In this case the sense seems to be "the absolute truth."

Brain good!

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 21:21:21 +0000

At 00:05 1998/05/16 GMT, mantis wrote:
...
>another with a favor in kind."

Or just "faithful", i.e. "true": that would make it the
same sense as below.

>In this case the sense seems to be "the absolute truth."

Brain gave several meanings for "keg", but didn't list "barrel"
among them. How about "pure keg" being derived from beer straight
from the keg, unwatered and unadulterated?

 Spectaced bear.

Peter Westlake, Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambs CB2 5RG.