Subject: (whorl) Cities

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:43:05 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

I was just wondering about the names of the cities in the Whorl and
their meaning.

Viron:  Latin for a circle, center.  Viron is surrounded by other
cities in circular pattern.  Suggests the word environ.

Limna:  Latin for the edge.  It's at the edge of Viron.

Palustria:  Latin for swampy place.  Surrounded by swamps.

Gens:  Latin for a family line, a clan.

Urbs:  Latin for city.

Ur:  Name of an ancient city on Earth.

Wick:  Just what it says, as far as I know.

Trivigaunte:  I don't know about this.  Can anyone help?

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:36:54 +0000

> cities in circular pattern.  Suggests the word environ.

When I first read the books, I assumed that as 'Whorl' was a neolgism
describing a World that Whirls, 'Viron' was once short for environment, in
the sense of "artificial environment" or "total environment"--a lost
reference to the artificiality of the Whorl.

Since it turns out that 'Viron' is hardly the only city or even the
central one, it doesn't really make sense that it would have that kind of
name while the other cities don't.

-Rostrum