Subject: (whorl) Names, animals, and meanings (F)

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:27:46 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Feather.  A light shaft with many thin barbs protruding from it along
one (imaginary) plane that contains the shaft.  Biological, used by
birds, usually to help in flight.  Feather is a boy at Silk's
palaestra.  The only relation he seems to have with his name is that
he's falling when Silk is enlightened and Silk's perception of time
slows, so he would seem to be falling slowly, like a feather.

Feeler.  A sensory limb or projection of an animal, such as a tentacle
or antenna.

Femur.  Plural femurs or femora.  The thighbone, from the hip to the
knee.  The largest and longest bone in humans.  Incus' older brother. 
It is a bone with an irregular Latin plural, like Incus.

Fulmar.  Procellariidae Fulmarus glacialis.  Also called the fulmar
petrel or the northern fulmar.  A seabird living in the North Atlantic
Ocean.  About a foot and a half long.  Eats fish and floating debris
(they have increased in numbers due to getting more of this debris in
the form of waste from fishing).  Hunted for prized feathers, eggs,
and oil.  This is a member of the black mechanics.  The name was
probably chosen partly because of the unpleasant association of the
bird feeding on garbage.  However, fulmar is very close to fulminate,
which comes from the Latin word fulmen, lightning, which has close
associations with electricity.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/