Subject: (whorl) Names, animals, and meanings (K)

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:12:38 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Kalan.  Any species of the genus Calanus (Kalanus) of the family
Calanidae (Kalanidae).  Red marine copepods of the northern oceans
that are a major food source for birds.  Copepods are members of
Copepoda (Kopepoda, meaning oar foot), a subclass of Crustacea of
which many members are parasites of fish.  The Calanus species are
thus small red marine crustaceans eaten by birds.  Thief killed by Auk.

Kerria.  A genus of aquatic American worms.  Also a genus of Chinese
shrubs.  Boy.

Kingcup.  Also called kingcob.  Any species of buttercups in the genus
Ranunculus or a name for the marsh marigold (Caltha palustris).  Owner
of a stable. Fought for Mint.  Became councillor.  King denotes that
she obtained a position of authority.

Kit.  Also spelled kitt.  Short for kitten.  Any immature animal of a
furry species.  Boy.

Kypris.  Word meaning a woman from Kypros (Cyprus).  Another name for
Aphrodite (Venus) the goddess of love and beauty.  Also called Kypria.
 Named because her cult came to Greece from Cyprus.  The name
Aphrodite is supposedly from the Greek word aphros (foam) because she
was supposedly born from the sea foam when Cronos threw Uranus'
genitals into it.  However, in Cyprus she was called Atargatis, and
the Hebrew name was Ashtoreth.  The Greek pronunciations ranged from
Astoreth to Attorethe to Aphthorethe.  Venus is simply the Latin word
venus (stem vener-) meaning grace, charm, desire, sexual love.  Other
similar words that have their origin from Cyprus are copper and
cypress.  Aphrodite was married to Hephaistos (Vulcanus), the god of
fire and smiths but had many affairs, usually with Ares (Mars) the god
of war.  With Ares she had the children Phobos (Panic), Deinos
(Terror), Eros (Sex), and Harmonia (Peace).  Minor goddess of love. 
Associated with white doves and rabbits.  Mistress of Pas.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/