Subject: (whorl) unsubcribe Digest whorl.v008.n058

From: Internet Megantic <support at megantic.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:44:30 +0000

UNSUBSCRIBE

At 22:49 30-07-98 -0700, you wrote:
>
>-------------- BEGIN whorl.v008.n058 --------------
>
>    001 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (N)
>    002 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (O)
>    003 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (P)
>    004 - "William H. Ansley" <wans - Re: (whorl) Names, animals and
meanings (M)
>    005 - mary whalen <marewhalen@y - (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (Q)
>
>WHORL Digest -- for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE whorl.v008.n058.1 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (N)
>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>Nettle.  Any species of prickly or stinging plants of genus Urtica or
>family Urticaceae.  Horn's wife.  Coauthor of the Book of Silk.
>
>Newt.  A small amphibious salamander, usually of genus Triturus.  The
>name formed because of an incorrect merging of an ewte (a newte). 
>Ewte was the animal's original English name, and it remains in the
>word eft. New member of the Ayuntamiento.
>
>Nizam.  Trivigaunti private who takes in Tick for a while.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE whorl.v008.n058.2 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (O)
>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>Olive.  Any plant of genus Olea, especially Olea europaea.  Produce
>olives.  Also a first name.  A sleeper.
>
>Oont.  From Hindi uut, from Sanskrit ustra.  A camel (Camelus ferus). 
>Oont is a porter.  A camel is used to carry things.
>
>Oosik.  Someone else previously found out that oosik is an Inuit
>(Eskimo) dialect word for the penis bone of the walrus.  My Inuit
>dictionary (of a different dialect) lists Oosh'ook as penis. 
>Generalissimo of Viron.  Father of Mattak (Whale Meat).  Name may have
>to do with his relationship with Hyacinth.
>
>Orchid.  Any plant of family Ochidaceae.  Flowers that are expensive
>and showy.  Also a color (light purple). Madame of brothel on Lamp
>Street.  Mother of Orpine.
>
>Oreb.  Hebrew for raven.  A chough is any species of genus Pyrrhocorax
>(red raven).  Related to crows.  Have black feathers and red legs. 
>Night chough Silk buys to sacrifice, but doesn't.
>
>Orpine.  Sedum telephium.  A plant with red-purple flowers formerly
>used as folk medicine.  Orchid's daughter.  Possessed by Mucor and
>killed by Chenille. Called Pine.  Sounds like Orchid, her mother. 
>Also may suggest orphan, which is the way she lived for a time.
>
>Outsider, the.  God of the downtrodden.  Apparently the Whorl's name
>for God.  Not known or worshipped much, because most records are
>changed or gone.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE whorl.v008.n058.3 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (P)
>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>Paca.  Any species of genus Cuniculus of family Dasyproctidae,
>especially the paca (Cuniculus paca).  Cuniculus is Latin for rabbit
>or burrow.  Related closely to agoutis.  Nocturnal rodents about two
>feet long.  Digs burrows.  Good swimmer.  Hunted for their meat.  One
>of Spiders spies who died in the tunnels.
>
>Pas.  Greek for all.  Pseudonym Typhon uses.  A major god.  One of the
>Nine.  God of weather, wind, rain, sun, machinery, and many other
>things.  Associated with cattle and birds of prey.  Shown with two
>heads.  Said to have built the Whorl.  Typhon was actually the Monarch
>of Urth and many other worlds.
>
>Peeper.  Any young animal that peeps or chirps.  Also any species of
>chirping frog, especially of family Hylidae (the treefrogs), and most
>especially the spring peeper (Hylidae Hyla crucifer).  The spring
>peeper has adhesive toes, lives in trees, and can leap to catch
>insects in the air.  Can jump seventeen times its length.  Its song
>begins at the start of spring.  Jailer at the Juzgado.
>
>Petal.  The leaf-shaped part of a flower.  Also, a body part of a sea
>urchin of order Exocycloida.  Alias of Titi.
>
>Phaea.  Greek for gray.  In Greek mythology is the child of Typhon and
>Echidna, or others.  Called the Crommyonian Sow.  A monstrous pig who
>terrorized the land around Crommyon in Corinth until killed by
>Theseus.  Some sources say that this was actually an old bandit
>nicknamed the Sow who was terrorizing the place.  In the Whorl is a
>major goddess.  One of the Nine and of the Seven.  The goddess of food
>and healing, but also of killing in order to eat.  Associated with
>swine and the sixth day of the week.  Supposed child of Typhon and
>Echidna.  Her problem is gluttony.
>
>Pike.  A long thin carnivorous fish (Esox lucius), also called the
>northern pike.  Also, any species in family Esocidae that resembles
>the pike.  Also the name for a variety of weapons like the spear.  Old
>augur on Sun Street.  Blood's father.  Dead.
>
>Poppy.  Any of various species of genus Papaver or related genera. 
>White, red, or yellow showy flowers.  The source of opium.  A
>prostitute at Orchid's.
>
>Pork.  Pork is a food made from the meat of the pig.  Restaurant owner.
>
>Potto.  Any member of genus Perodicticus or Arctocebus, especially the
>potto (Lorisidae Perodicticus potto).  Primates related to monkeys. 
>Stout, with large legs and arms and a large neck.  Large eyes.  Live
>in trees. The potto has four spines at the back of its neck.  Member
>of the Ayuntamiento.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE whorl.v008.n058.4 ---------------
>
>From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley at warwick.net>
>Subject: Re: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (M)
>Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:05:32 -0400
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>In-Reply-To: <199807300515.WAA18964 at lists1.best.com>
>
>>Marrow.  Red and yellow marrow are soft tissues in bones.  Yellow
>>marrow is mostly fat, red is mainly red-blood-cell producing tissue.
>>Also an old word for the best portion of food.  Greengrocer.  Becomes
>>a leader of the Blue colonists.
>
>The zuchinni squash is also know as a vegtable marrow, which ties in with
>the greengrocer occupation.
>
>William Ansley
>
>
>
>
>--------------- MESSAGE whorl.v008.n058.5 ---------------
>
>From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
>Subject: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (Q)
>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>This is Sean Whalen (prion).
>
>Quetzal.  Plural quetzals or quetzales.  Also spelled quezal or
>quesal.  From the Nahuatl word quetzalli (large bright tail feather). 
>A species (Pharomachrus mocinno) of family Trogonidae (the trogon
>family [trogon means "one who gnaws" in Greek]) of order
>Trogoniformes.  The trogons are brightly plumed tree-dwelling birds
>(the males are brighter than the females).  Their feet have two toes
>in front and two in back, like most tree-dwelling birds, but they are
>the only birds who have the first and second toes in front, rather
>than the first and fourth.  The quetzal has green feathers on top and 
>and at the throat and crimson ones on the bottom.  The top of the head
>has a puffy crown of feathers.  Males have long green tail feathers
>that can be over two feet long and are regrown after each breeding
>season.  The birds themselves are only about a foot long.  They live
>in the lower layers of tropical forest trees in Mexico and Central
>America. They are semi-solitary.  They are very fond of fruit and also
>eat insects, small frogs, lizards, and snails. Males and females
>alternate sitting on the eggs.  The long feathers were used in
>ceremonies by the Mayans and Aztecs, who believed the quetzal was
>sacred, and associated it with Quetzalcoatl, the plumed serpent god. 
>The quetzal dance is performed by the Totonacs of Mexico to honor the
>quetzal as a sun symbol.  The men perform the dance and where disk
>headdresses to represent the sun.  They dance longways by two-steps
>and knee-raisings.  The advance, withdraw, and follow the leader down
>the center and around, split up, cross over, cross back, and and
>finally the lines wind back and forth through each other in a
>serpentine path.  The quetzal is the national bird of Guatemala. 
>Quetzal is also the name of the basic money unit of Guatemala.  The
>god Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent, was worshipped all over
>Central America.  He was known as Eecatl (Aztec for wind) when
>functioning as a wind god. He was called Ce Acatl (One Cane) as lord
>of the planet Venus.  He was also the creator god, the sun during one
>of the previous incarnations of the world.  He went to Mictlan, the
>underworld, and brought the bones of the people of the previous worlds
>to Earth.  He sprinkled his blood over them, making them into humans. 
>He gave them corn, art, weaving, polishing jade, making feather
>mantles, and taught the calendar and astronomy.  He was described as
>light-skinned and bearded.  The worship of Pas on the Whorl seems
>similar to the Aztec worship of Quetzalcoatl.  Qu. was supposedly
>bested by Tezcatlipoca (Smoking Mirror), and sailed east on a raft
>made of snakes in humiliation.  He said that he would return in the
>year Ce Acatl, and when Cortes landed in that year (1519) he was at
>first thought to be Qu. returning.  Tezcatlipoca, by the way, was an
>earlier sun who Qu. knocked from the sky and turned into a tiger.  He
>was god of witches, thieves, night, dark, evil, and warriors.  He was
>omnipotent, invisible, and gave and took life as he wanted.  Quetzal
>is an inhumu from Green who came onto the Whorl and became Prolocutor
>of Viron.
>
>prion
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>
>--------------- END whorl.v008.n058 ---------------
>
>
>*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
>*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
>*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
>*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com
>
>
/Serges
Internet Megantic
http://www.megantic.net/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/