Subject: (whorl) Names, animals, and meanings (K2)

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:08:39 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Kalan.  Any species of the genus Calanus (Kalanus) of the family
Calanidae (Kalanidae).  Red marine copepods of the northern oceans
that are a major food source for birds.  Copepods are members of
Copepoda (Kopepoda, meaning oar foot), a subclass of Crustacea of
which many members are parasites of fish.  The Calanus  species are
thus small red marine crustaceans eaten by birds.  Also a name for the
sea otter (Enhydris lutris).  The sea otter is adapted to life in
water.  It has webbed feet.  It doesn't have an insulated layer of
fat, but can trap air in its fur for warmth.  It has a white head and
neck.  The rest is black.  Beautiful fur.  Uses rocks to crack the
shells of its food.  Wraps itself in kelp when it sleeps to keep from
drifting away.  Thief killed by Auk.  Kalan started a fight out of
anger (he was crabby) and got killed by a man with a bird's name.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/