Subject: (whorl) Names and meanings (3)

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:07:57 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Lynx.  Any species of genus Lynx, especially the common lynx (Lynx
lynx).  In the Whorl Mucor says they are called lynxes because they
hunt during the daytime.  The name lynx is related to lux (Latin for
light) and leukos (Greek for white).

Schola.  Plural scholae or scholas.  From Greek skhole. A Roman
school, private room, lecture hal, meeting hall, association of people
with the same profession.  In the Whorl this is the place Paterae go
to be inducted into their profession.

Tessera.  Plural tesserae.  From the Greek for four (tesseres,
tessares, tettares).  A square tablet used for identification or a
password with the same purpose.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/