Subject: (whorl) Names, animals and meanings (P2)

From: mary whalen <marewhalen at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 06:21:52 +0000

This is Sean Whalen (prion).

Pike.  A long thin carnivorous fish (Esox lucius), also called the
northern pike.  Also, any species in family Esocidae that resembles
the pike.  Also the name for a variety of weapons like the spear.
Also, the Latin word lupus can mean either wolf or pike.  Old augur on
Sun Street.  Blood's father.  Dead.

prion
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/

---

From: Alastair Reynolds <areynold at estsa2.estec.esa.nl>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:35:40 +0000

> Sun Street.  Blood's father.  Dead.

permission to speak...

I don't know if this was a phenomenon unique to British readers of the book,
but I couldn't read "Pike" without thinking of Private Pike from Dad's Army,
probably not quite the effect Wolfe intended...(although, as apparently
GW is a Benny Hill fan, who knows?)

al