Subject: (whorl) hello?

From: Greg Neyman <greg.neyman at gte.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:31:15 +0000

howdy, I just subscribed ...

I've looked at the archives ... there seems to be some sort of lull ...
(ahem) ...

I've glimpsed the archives, but haven't really read them all ... and I do
have some questions ... if these questions were answered, I'm duly sorry ...

when Silk traces circles on his cheek ... what does that mean ... it was a
habit he seemed to pick up suddenly in Calde ... is it just an "I'm
thinking" idiosyncrasy ...

could P. Pike's ghost be some sort of projection from his "stored" copy at
MainFrame, activated by Kypris, or something like that? ... for what purpose
... beats me ...

    /\/\     Greg Neyman               Greg.Neyman at gte.net
___/____\___ http://www.trailerpark.com/siesta/thehat/
  |HE  HA|

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Peter Westlake <peter at harlequin.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:13:43 +0000

>MainFrame, activated by Kypris, or something like that? ... for what purpose

For my money, Pike's ghost is the ghost of Pike.  I think he's hanging around
for the traditional reason: unfinished business in this world. It seems to be
connected with Mucor; his first appearance is just after Silk has seen Mucor,
IIRC, and only Mucor sees him the second time. There's a connection between
them, of course, which is in the archives but you may not have seen it yet.
Or you may have found it yourself, of course.

Peter.