Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v009.n006

From: Kieran Mullen <kieran at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:47:55 +0000

>From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
>Subject: Re: Whorl language
>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:04:26 -0500

>It still worries me that French and Latin are mentioned by name, though.
>If Wolfe mentioned a historical person by name (say, Neil Armstrong), it
>would be hard to argue that he really meant someone else, analogous to
>our Neil Armstrong.

  Of course Neil (or someone like him) *does* appear in TBotNS in
one of Rudesind's paintings. :-)

       Kieran Mullen

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Jack Lyons <revjack at radix.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 08:24:32 +0000

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Kieran Mullen wrote:

:>From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
:
:>It still worries me that French and Latin are mentioned by name, though.
:>If Wolfe mentioned a historical person by name (say, Neil Armstrong), it
:>would be hard to argue that he really meant someone else, analogous to
:>our Neil Armstrong.
:
:  Of course Neil (or someone like him) *does* appear in TBotNS in
:one of Rudesind's paintings. :-)

Clearly another allusion to the Trinity, with Neil
representing Christ, Ultan as the Father, and Rudesind as
the Holy Spirit. Surprised no one else caught this.

-- 
_________________
revjack at radix.net