Subject: (whorl) fusion and english

From: Greg Neyman <greg.neyman at gte.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 21:14:28 +0000

Hey everyone ...
    Prion- how the heck can a chem get all its hydrogen needs from AIR?  ...
it can't be more than a few tenths of a percent in the air (to maintain the
ecosphere ... or ecocylinder, as it were, the air composition couldn't
deviate too significantly from earth's) ...

and it looks like this English problem has been put pretty much to rest.
thanks for all your input, you guys (man I hate to be cowed ... )

last call ... any ideas on how the whorl powers itself?

A New Question:  In Calde, Quetzal mentions that he's done his all he could
to ensure that theophanies stop occurring in Viron ... I never really
understood why ... does it get explained elsewhere in an oblique manner ...
or not at all?

Later ...
    /\/\     Greg Neyman               Greg.Neyman at gte.net
___/____\___ http://www.trailerpark.com/siesta/thehat/
  |HE  HA|

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 08:49:42 +0000

> deviate too significantly from earth's) ...

The classic SF trope is getting hydrogen from electrolysis of water, so I
imagine Prion is refering to water vapor in the air.

"Humid weather today.  Yum!" -- Hammerstone

-Rostrum

---

From: Alex David Groce <adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:55:06 +0000

> understood why ... does it get explained elsewhere in an oblique manner ...

For my money, not at all, and Quetzal's motivations as the (maybe) benevolent
vampire will presumably be explained in Short Sun...  Didn't Wolfe say as much
in the Q&A session some time ago?
-- 
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (adgroce at eos.ncsu.edu)
Senior (Computer Science/Multidisciplinary Studies in Technology & Fiction)
'98-99 NCSU AITP Student Chapter President
608 Charleston Road, Apt. 1E (919)-233-7366
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~adgroce