Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v001.n031

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:35:46 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Hello there, Michael----um, mantis---how nice to be disagreeing with you in
public instead of private. If you're going to take a Viron name, so will I.
How's aloe? That should be handy for all those pesky WWW sign-in thingies.

I've stated my position on Pike's ghost. The anti-virus injection is
intriguing, but I still don't understand why Q lies, or even who he's lying
to.

aloe

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com

---

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:57:41 +0000

From: m.driussi at genie.com

> Re: Calde Tussah, I'm wondering if he isn't Hindu-Indian?  That is,
> from Trivigaunte.

I thought the Triviguantis were more Arab or Persian than Indian. They
at least show Islamic survivals, wherever they are from.  For example,
their symbol is a red triangle, "because Sphigx won't let them use
images."  They are monotheists (more or less, worshipping only or mostly
Sphigx). Their names and the little bits of their language that we hear
are more like Arabic than Hindi, as well.

     Dave
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:22:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #6681520 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET01#

Re: Hindi stratum to Trivigaunte society.  "Calde'" is to Spanish as
"Rani" is to Hindi (although the ranks are as different as mayor and
queen).  True, "khanum" is Turko-Persian, and "Nizam" is
Urdu/Turkish/Arabic, but still.

Not much, I'll admit.  But it's there.  With a Hindu core area and
satellite areas (different cities contributing the "Turkish," "Persian,"
elements that were not indiginous to original Trivigaunte) brought in
through the military campaigns the text suggests they've gone through,
I can envision a Mogul-type/Indus Valley empire with an Islamic
(monotheistic/desert) aspect that is matriarchal rather than patriarchal
(Allat rather than Allah). (This is largely speculative, of course.)

(Can't resist pointing out the silk road.)

=mantis=