Subject: (whorl) new book

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:57:40 +0000

Here is a message from David Hartwell concerning the new book. I asked him
if we could get a group discount for advance orders. It seems to me strange
that he says no--group discounts are not unusual in publishing, and Ranjit
tells me that we have about 140 on the list. If even half that number
ordered a book, it would be a substantial advance order. Does anyone have a
connection with, say, Amazon, who might be willing to offer a group
discount?

It's depressing that the first book won't be till fall '99. I wonder if we
can cohere till then. We've done well so far, but to hold off a full year
longer than first expected will be difficult.

-alga

-----------
Oh sigh,I am not able to sell books at a discount. You can get discounts
almost everywhere (Costco is probably the highest on books) but from the
publisher.

The title of new book number one is On Blue's Waters and I have tentatively
scheduled it for next fall. This may change, because the second manuscript,
and the third, seem destined to follow quickly--I am told that book two
will be turned in perhaps by late January, and the third, Return to the
Whorl, perhaps by June, and a new short story collection is coming too. I
do not say for certain though what the publication dates or completion
dates are, but only what I am given to understand by the agent.

I need to call Gene as soon as I finish On Blue's Waters, which will
probably be next week.

David

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alastair Reynolds <areynold at estsa2.estec.esa.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:42:12 +0000

> longer than first expected will be difficult.

Yes, that's ages to wait...

What's the betting it'll turn into a tetrology like TBOTNS? (According to
the Castle of the Otter, the planned third and final volume got too large
and they had to split it).

I'm very happy as while I was in Devon a week or so back (for Milford!), I
found all four volumes of TBOTNS in the original UK paperbacks - a bit
dog-eared and faded, but with the wonderfully evocative Bruce Pennington 
cover paintings, which have always defined my mind's eye view of Wolfe's 
landscapes. Actually I only found 3 of them, cursed my bad luck, but then
Ben Jeapes pointed out that the fourth volume had strayed a few books along
the shelf...

Al

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:07:30 +0000

>and they had to split it).

I wouldn't bet on that. Given Wolfe's habit of writing the entire series
(in draft) before submitting the manuscript for the first volume--which he
did with both _New Sun_ and _Long Sun_, if I recall correctly--and the fast
turnaround on the _Short Sun_ books, I'd bet that _Return to the Whorl_ is
somewhere close to its final form already. 

>landscapes. 

I believe those are Wolfe's favorite covers, as well. Certainly they're
beautiful. 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:45:25 +0000

> I believe those are Wolfe's favorite covers, as well. Certainly they're

Do I remember someone having pictures of those covers on the web?  I don't
think I've ever seen them, and I would like to.

-Rostrum

---

From: Alastair Reynolds <areynold at estsa2.estec.esa.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:23:45 +0000

> think I've ever seen them, and I would like to.

I found Claw of the Conciliator here, without the overlaid text of the
cover:

http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/ellison/33/bruce1.htm

(a lovely scan by the way)

and scans of the actual covers, with blurbs etc, here:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ajellis/WolfeArt.htm

Real jaw-dropping stuff - Severian looking stunning in fuligin
(it's the new black).

Al

(apologies for this not being strictly relevant to LS anymore - although
isn't Severian rumoured to make an appearance in the Short Sun books?)