Subject: (whorl) Horn the Narrator

From: Terence Nickolette <terrynick at mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:12:51 +0000

Kevin Maroney said of the surprise of finding Horn the narrator:
 >I noticed it and assumed that it was a copyediting mistake until I got to
>the end!  I don't know what that says about me.

I had the same reaction.  I also felt I had missed some clues along the way.
 Did I?  I must have, for surely Wolfe would not have switched to first
person Horn at the end in order to provide a vehicle for a new series.  How
does one go from Silk's epiphany to Horn narrating the tale?

I'll have read more carefully when I again reread the Long Sun series.

Terry Nickolette

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Terence Nickolette <terrynick at mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:26:44 +0000

Terry Nickolette

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:24:49 +0000

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Terence Nickolette wrote:

> How does one go from Silk's epiphany to Horn narrating the tale?

(Ah, this bit of my last post belonged here.)

The first paragraph of Nightside identifies the enlightenment narrative as
the way Silk "talked about it afterward" -- so that tells us where Horn
gets it, and is a very subtle clue that everything we read about Silk's
inner life may be from how he related it to others. 

-Rostrum