Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n005

From: Alice Turner <akt at ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 08:53:35 +0000

Well now, Nigel, let's not get carried away. -Ozma of Oz-, published in the
early years of this century (and a book we're pretty sure Wolfe has read,
given "Eyeflash"), has an underlake bubble-dome city operated by a sort of
hydraulic lift; it had little submarines too. And at least one of the James
Bond movies had something of the sort, complete with baddies, also with
submarines (well, you'd need 'em , wouldn't you?). And have you seen the new
Star Wars movie? A whole underlake city, and drop-dead spectacular.

I was
> interested to note, however, that the story contains a set of baddies who
> work from a secret underwater base hidden in the depths of an inland lake.
> Their hide-out even contains a submarine pen and a submarine to take the
> baddies between the lake shore and their submerged headquarters.
>
> Hm...
>
> Remind you of anything Lupine?
>
> Surely not, it can't be!
>
> I admit that the idea of "Tintin and the Lake of Sharks" as a possible
> source for "Lake of the Long Sun" is pretty far-fetched, but I thought I'd
> just give it a Whorl...

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com