Subject: (whorl) Typhon, the inhumi & Blue's Waters

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:17:13 +0000

I think the Occam's Razor explanation for the Whorl is that it was sent
out for the greater glory of Pas--i.e. to spread Typhon's rule to new places.
I actually think it would be odd for Typhon to sell the Whorl to the inhumi,
simply because it's difficult to see what they could offer him.  Typhon's
certainly a monster, but doesn't seem purely sadistic.  The inhumi seem to
be on a low enough technological level that Typhon would simply exterminate
them if he could.  Although how Q. reached the Whorl given this low technology
is a good question.

I received my copy of On Blue's Waters yesterday.  I've only read two chapters
so far.  I'll comment later today (with the proper warning).

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com