Subject: Re: (whorl) Wolfe's Editor on The Short Sun Books

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:38:33 +0000

Lupes,

This just in from David G. Hartwell, Gene's editor at TOR. I didn't think 
he'd mind
if I shared this snippet about the Short Sun Trilogy.

9/25/99

"I just last night finished Return to the Whorl, which is so full of 
surprises and marvels that I had to read it more slowly as I went, even 
though I was eager to read it faster. You will understand later. But each 
volume is more than the previous, and the whole is even more mind-expanding 
than I imagined."

Exactly my experience in reading ON BLUE'S WATERS--torn between savoring, 
gluttony and starving for more.

Words are truly incapable of saying just how beautiful I found this first 
book to be.

I will read it two or three more times, then might have something to say.

Years ago Wolfe told a friend of mine (regarding the short sun books) that he 
"wanted to make it so good it hurts."

It is so good it hurts.

Patrick O'Leary

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com