Subject: (whorl) [blue, cagey non-spoiler] Help! Jaw on floor!

From: Dan Rabin <danrabin at a.crl.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:30:35 +0000

Wow.  Since I come from a country where book reviewers are only allowed to
employ approved phrases of Correct Criticism, I can only say,

"A master at the height of his powers."

That's my judgment of the book by its content.

In order to assist those who must judge _On Blue's Waters_ by its cover, I
merely give my assurance that yes, the guy in the boat with the funny
creature on board does indeed meet a naked young blonde woman sitting on a
rock in the sea.  The inaccuracy of the illustration is that the man should
not have a full head of hair.  It's important, and that's why it took Gene
Wolfe to write it.

"Have I said that time turns our lies into truths?" (_The Shadow of the
Torturer_, ch. 17 "The Challenge", end of chapter)

  -- Dan Rabin

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com