Subject: Re: (whorl) Buried Alive--the secret?

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 12:25:13 +0000

Thanks to Alga & Mantis for their input--always a pleasure...but...

In a message dated 10/3/99 10:37:33 PM, akt at attglobal.net writes:

<< The secret he has learned from Krait is how *not* to kill an inhumu while 
giving the
appearance of doing so. >>

I'm going to have to disagree with the learned Alga.

Doesn't Horn say the The Secret was one that could destroy the Inhumi?
Pretty sure he does, though I can't find the reference:(

Obviously, burying the suckers alive doesn't destroy them.

Isn't it more likely that Horn simply used the ignorant and ineffective 
cultural capital punishment of his Kingdom
to his advantage when he felt his "adopted" country threatened? This serves 
two purposes: provides a distraction while he escapes and turns the tide of 
the battle.

Alga writes:

>>...How would he possibly know how to do this, and to plan it so far in 
advance, without
help? That is why I think this knowledge (and possibly advice too) is Krait's 
secret.<<

Isn't it more likely that this "buried alive and the captor bargaining for an 
oath of loyalty" perfectly mirrors
Horn's horrible experience in the pit with Krait? It worked then. He just 
reversed the predicament.
Sweet justice.

I suspect that, after OBW, we don't yet have enough evidence to deduct the 
Secret.

best,

Patrick O'leary

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com