Subject: (whorl) BLUE Notes

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:04:04 +0000

Did I miss something about Seawrack, the semi-Venus de Milo?

That is: first there was the blood on the deck.

Then, didn't Horn decide that the huss had =not= struck whatever it was,
but only licked up the blood after?

Then Seawrack shows up with one arm.

And much later, she mentions that Babbie wrestles hard (blowing up Horn's
earlier thought that Babbie couldn't have been so active that night without
waking him up?).

So, okay--huss nipped her arm off, just below the shoulder.  She grendeled
it back beneath the wine dark sea.

But why he bite?  Just because she was climbing aboard?  (Or is it more a
case of being directed by Mucor, because she doesn't like Seawrack?)  Was
she trying to do some violence on that first visit?  (Doesn't seem to fit
the preparations of dolling her up--but maybe that was only done on the
second try?)  And why didn't Horn wake up?

It is just one of the confusing episodes that changes over time in the
course of the novel and I don't quite have a grip on it yet, nor am I
comfortable in my wallow of ambiguity.

Help me, somebody!  Thanks in advance.

=mantis=

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com