Subject: (whorl) Various

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:28:06 +0000

I'm replying to a number of points at once--a local mail problem resulted in
me getting today in "digest" mode, all arriving in about five seconds.

1.  Wolfe clearly DOES want us to have thoughts about Silk and Horn being 
somehow combined.  The "caught the ball" line is too haunting and explicit for
any other possibility.  What's going on is anybody's guess (Sev./Thecla-ish
with Silk's personality mostly buried, perhaps?)

2.  Seawrack is a human, not a Neighbor.  Her mother drowned and "Mother"
rescued her for (probably) devious purposes.

3.  Dave Lebling summed up the theory I'm supporting as to what the inhumi's
secret is far better than I've managed to thus far.

4.  The neighbors "other place" seems to be something metaphysical or Shadow-
like, not just another planet they've moved to en masse.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com