Subject: Re: (whorl) Pajarocu

From: Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:20:27 +0000

My reaction to "Pajarocu" is that it sounded a lot like words from
indigenous tribes from the Amazon. To be specific, it brought to mind
"pirarucu", a large fish which is one of the staple foods of the
region. It's sufficiently well known that I learned about it in elementary
school in southern Brazil...

I've been lurking on the conversation, so, now that I've started talking
again, perhaps I should say that I too am rather amazed at
"Blue"... Wolfe's books just seem to get more and more complex, more and
more artful, more and more entrancing.

Fernando

-- 

Fernando Q. Gouvea                      
Department of Mathematics               Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                           http://www.maa.org
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgouvea at colby.edu                      http://www.colby.edu/math
==========================================================

I could dance till the cows come home.  On second thought, I'd rather
dance with the cows till you come home.
                -- Groucho Marx

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com