Subject: (whorl) "Go Get Silk!"

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:23:12 +0000

out of all their problems. I suspect that's part of what Wolfe has in mind
when the leaders say they want Silk back. 
	They don't need Silk back, any more than Christians need Jesus back.
Christians have the Bible, which is the Word of Christ and tells them all
they need, and Christians have the Spirit, who puts them in touch with
Jesus personally, and they have the sacraments. They may look forward to
seeing Jesus in the flesh someday, but they (we) have everything we need
right now, all we need to do what we are called to do in this world. 
	The same is true on Blue, I suggest. They have the Book of Silk, which if
they read it would tell them how to rule and serve wisely. But as long as
they keep slave girls for sex, they are not exactly following the Book of
Silk, are they? As for sacraments, that seems to be a problem, but is it?
They think their seed is bad, and that they have got to go up to heaven to
get better seed. Maybe that's what Wolfe intends: that prayer is needed
before we get the food we really need. Or maybe they don't need to go back
to the Whorl for better seed at all. Maybe they need to learn how to use
what they have. We'll have to wait and see.
	One thing is for sure: They don't need Silk, and the search for Silk is
just a cop-out; even as Christians who keep thinking Jesus is about to come
back are frequently coping out on their responsibilities in this world.

Nutria.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com