Subject: (whorl) Did Horn Have "Help" With BLS?

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:56:52 +0000

Vizcacha wrote:

>The Writing of TBotLS.  Speculations on how Horn might have had help writing
>_The Book of Silk_ seem to forget that he did have help, from his wife
Nettle.
>He also describes how they reconstructed scenes where they weren't
present, by
>inventing "typical" dialogue that led to the outcomes they knew.  I might
also
>mention that the style in TBoS is quite different from that of OBW, and I
>attribute that to Nettle's influence.  Horn, on several occasions, laments
that
>without her organizational ability, the present work will be inferior. 

	How dare you imply that I'd forgotten Nettle's help? Don't forget that
Nutria's eat Vizcachas alive bite by bite (whatever Vizcachas are)! Hyoomr
aside, I still find it hard to understand how either of them could have
known many, many of the things in TBLS. Inventing "typical" dialogue is a
long way from the large stretches of material they had to learn from other
people, and I'm having trouble thinking of how they might have learned all
this stuff, and from whom. But what I really need to do is re-read the
Quartet through Horn's eyes, and see if it is really possible that he and
Nettle could have written it without "supernatural" help. Has anyone done
this?
	It's a bit like going to see "The Sixth Sense" a second time, and noticing
how everything is completely different the second time through. Does it
work to re-read TBLS this way?
	Sorry to bring this up if it has already been discussed on this list. I've
got all the old posts filed but I've been too busy to stay active for many
months, and I've not had time to read them all.

Enraged Nutria

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com