Subject: (whorl) Moses

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:02:24 +0000

and the gospels, Acts, and Revelation.  I've never been able to see much of
Moses here. Of course, Wolfe always adds other things on top of the basic
scaffolding, but in what ways does BLS track the events in
Exodus-Deuteronomy? Is there an old post that lists parallels that could be
reposted here?

Nutria

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:48:23 +0000

Well, I'm not sure there are nearly as many narrative comparisons, but the
overall idea of Silk leading the people out of bondage to Typhon & co. in the
Whorl to arrival in a new land that (at least once Typhon's storms get going)
is "milk and honey" compared to the Whorl is obvious--the last title beginnning
with Exodus seems unlikely to be wholly spurious.  Silk is rather reluctant to
take the role of leader on himself at first, much like Moses.  And somebody did
comment on Auk/Aaron parallels.  Chemise as Miriam?

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce