Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n041

From: David Langford <ansible at cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 08:46:00 +0000

alga propagated:

> Also yesterday there was a report of two women snoozing under a tree in 
> Hyde Park who were killed by a lightning bolt that stuck their
> underwire bras.Now what writer, modernist, post-modernist, whatever,
> could possibly have made that up?

Vladimir Nabokov came close: "My very photogenic mother died in a freak 
accident (picnic, lightning) when I was three ..."

The =Evening Standard= later reported more detailed pathologist's 
evidence saying that although the underwires acted as a conductor, the 
women would almost certainly have died if they hadn't been wearing those 
bras.

Dave

David Langford
ansible at cix.co.uk | http://www.ansible.demon.co.uk/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com