Subject: (whorl) Mucor's fish

From: Joel Priddy <jpriddy at saturn.vcu.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:25:46 +0000

When I read the part where Mucor said the fish would be waiting on a rock,
I just assumed that she possessed the fish, and drove them to leap out of
the water. I was confused that Horn, who clearly knows all about Mucor's
ability, didn;t assume this as well. So what am I missing? Is it stated
somewhere in Long Sun that Mucor can't possess little-brained animals, or
something?

BTW, as soon as I got my copy of _OBW_, I took the paper jacket off and
tossed it. I recommend this to everyone because (a) the cover is tacky to
the
point of acute embarassment, and (b) the hardcover under the dustwrap is
actually a lovely rich blue. This greatly improved the object-quality of
the book.

cephalothorax

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:30:26 +0000

>somewhere in Long Sun that Mucor can't possess little-brained animals, or

I have to admit that when I read the fish story, I thought: telekinesis.
Then when Horn thought someone else was responsible, I remembered: Oh,
yeah. Mucor doesn't telekines (say tel-u-kin-ees... it's a joke).

I agree that Mucor possessing the fish seems to satisfy Occam's razor
better than invoking a mysterious third party but I just don't remember the
extent of Mucor's powers. As far as I can remember, the only beings she
possessed in _The Book of the Long Sun_ were human. Aside from possession,
the only other power she has that I recall is the "astral projection"
ability that she uses to talk to Silk, at Horn's request, in _On Blue's
Waters_.

Of course, we only have her word for it that she actually "talked" to Silk
and for what he "said" to her.

William Ansley