Subject: (whorl) inhumi secret

From: Xworders <xworders at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:09:31 +0000

Hello, all:

I subscribed to this list for a time in its infancy, then became too busy to 
keep up.  I'm ready for a new hitch, having just finished the wonderful, 
deeply satisfying, deeply mysterious OBT.

I'll need to reread before I venture many opinions about the book's riddles, 
but I offer this single thought for now:

Is it possible that by mixing blood with the Neighbors, humans could become 
immune to (or unappetizing to) the inhumi?  I ask because 1) the Neighbors do 
not seem to be victims of the inhumi, and 2) there were some veiled 
references to blood-mixing, including a ceremony that involved pointing at 
the sky. (Horn took these references to blood-mixing metaphorically, but 
maybe that was his error.)   If Horn were to spread the word that by swapping 
blood with the Neighbors, humans could cease being victimized by the inhumi, 
then the inhumi might be left with nothing but beasts upon which to feed--and 
so would lose their "intelligent" nourishment.

Just a thought.  Apologies if it's been proffered previously.  I've just 
re-upped and have tried to read the last 2 weeks' messages, but may have 
missed some stuff.

--Henry Rathvon

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com