Subject: (whorl) Disarming Seawrack

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:46:32 +0000

OK, all of you people who think Wolfe always has a reason for everything he
writes (you know who you are!), what is the reason for Seawrack's missing
right arm?

I find it rather odd that having her arm mangled and then amputated,
doesn't seem to bother Seawrack very much. Even odder is the way she adapts
instantly to having no right arm. She is not unbalanced, even at first, or
inconvenienced in any way we are told about. She can swim just as well as
ever, apparently. It also doesn't seem to bother anyone else that she has
only one arm. It certainly doesn't make her any less desirable to Horn or
any other man. Not that it should, but I think it might put some men off.
No one even seems to be curious about why she is missing an arm or how it
happened, which strikes me as being quite against human nature.

Is Seawrack really missing an arm or is Horn being mislead somehow?
("Prepare for mind control!" -Evil, in the film _Time Bandits_.)

William Ansley

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:09:36 +0000

One thing it made me think of was the Venus de Milo, especially re: the story
about her arms in PEACE.  Perhaps Mother arranged for her to lose her arm,
knowing this would make Horn less suspicious of her (if beauty doesn't get 'em,
go for sympathy).  At the end of OBW, I pity Seawrack, and think no ill of her,
but I have a sneaking suspicion that the hints dropped and Krait's evident
distrust of her may indicate that she's less innocent and good than she seems.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce