Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n056

From: Alice Turner <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:31:57 +0000

The Rodent opined:

> At 08:09 PM 11/16/99 -0500, Slimina of the Green Goo wrote:
> >
> >2. There have been a lot of guesses about "the secret of the inhumi," and
> >the front-runner for a while was that it was simply that they took on (or
> >could take on) aspects of the prey along with the blood; when they
> >encountered a sentient race for the first time, it revolutionized them.
> >Another conjecture has to do with their obviously being able to survive a
> >long time without sustenance in a mummified state. But later thinking is
> >that it's more complicated than that--it's a secret that if known could
> >destroy them--and that Wolfe just hasn't given it to us even in clue form
> >yet.
> >
> >Arguments invited.
>
> It's Rat Time, Slimina!
>
> To begin with, courtesy of Kieran:
>
> Horn: "If only we cared about each other sufficiently. If only all of us
> loved all the others enough, they would go back to [mindless beasts]. We
> would still think them horrible creatures, and they would still be
> dangerous, as the crocodiles in this lower river water are. But they would
> be no worse."
> Evensong: "That is the secret, what you said?"
> Horn: "No, of course not." [p.375]
>
> So, let's invert that. The inhumi take on our characteristics. We are not
> very nice people: enslaving others, raping wimmin, etc. What if we become
> good, "Green Man" types, like the forerunners of Blue? What would the
> inhumi become then? Good guys! Hey, is that why old Quetzal becomes a good
> guy, because of hanging around and being near Silk?
> Inhumi are animals, "underpeople" of Cordo Smith, but of a different sort.
> Their salvation depends on and proceeds from human salvation.
> My guess. It think the clews are there, but I may be taking them wrongly.
>
> Slavering Nutria of the Dripping Jowl

I think you are correct, but that this is not the secret. I also think that
"hanging around and being near" doesn't have much, if anything to do with
it; it's the actual ingestion of blood. The two people we know Q bit had in
common only their youth. Teasel was a young girl and whashisname, Oosik's
son, was probably no more than 18. And he certainly got a gleam in his eye
inspecting those troops of probably mostly teenage girls. But Horn's "No, of
course not!" seems to imply that the actual secret is something else. I also
think that your premise is too straight-forward and goody-goody for Wolfe.

-slimora

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:27:41 +0000

>think that your premise is too straight-forward and goody-goody for Wolfe.

Good poynts. Guess we gotta wait....

Nutricious