Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v001.n035

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 14:06:37 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

First, Dave, I'm so glad you concentrated on Mint---she was going to be
next for me, but now I don't have to---and Pas. Especially glad to learn
that no Echidna soils little Mint. Agreed that the Pas timeline is
puzzling. Maybe mantis, who loves timelines, can help us out.

Mantis, one caveat: Scylla boasts about the lake being her screen, but in
fact she uses conventional screens both to enter and to exit Chenille.

I'm of the non-aquastor crowd re Pike (right up there beating the drum) and
I think it's perfectly possible, without self-contradiction, for Silk to
have a near-death vision. And in Wolfe's world, whether LS or NS, it's
possible for that vision to be more or less "true." But, my friend, haven't
you undercut your own theory (not shared by moi) that Kypris is Silk's mum,
since he does not recognize the blonde as Kypris?

OTOH, I'm impressed with your discovery of Molpe's parentage, and I wish I
were near the books so I could check it out at once.

I don't think Chenille is a uberfrau. Chenille, bless her heart, seems to
me one of the few people in the book who is exactly what she seems to be
(except for her dyed hair). Yes, she's Tussah's natural daughter, but she
was brought up in the gutter. And I believe she really loves Auk and he her
(well, Kypris *orders* him to love her, but he already does) and I hope for
happy ever altering though I'm not entirely optimistic (algae says hastily
to avoid seeming sappy). 

-algae-

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com