Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n071

From: Bjjp2 <bjjp2 at aol.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:45:39 +0000

Suggestion for the secret of the inhumi:

Everyone's been focusing on a change in human conduct as the secret that can 
destroy the inhumi.  To me, the most easily accomplishable and plausible 
weapon that humans could have against the inhumi would be the ingestion of 
some substance.  Since the inhumi drink human blood and appear to derive 
their personalities from the blood they drink, there may be something that 
humans can drink or eat that will impact the inhumi negatively.  This is pure 
speculation . . . I have no supporting text to cite.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: William H. Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:21:41 +0000

>speculation . . . I have no supporting text to cite.

Very interesting! And what could this substance be? Hmmm.... let me see.
Why inhumi flesh, of course, preferably raw, although cooked might work.
Humans eat inhumi, develop anti-inhumi antibodies in their bloodstreams.
The inhumi die or get very sick when they try to drink the blood of these
humans. Eventually inhumi revert back to beast status, in which state they
are too stupid to know that human blood is bad for them, so they continue
to remain a nuisance, but a much less dangerous one. (Or they might still
be smart enough to let humans alone entirely).

Ingenious, but I don't think so.

alga seems to think we can't guess the secret with what we know now, and
that may well be true. But what if we do get it right? Wolfe can just go
and change what it is in the other two books! (Of course we'll have to wait
a few more years before they come out. <g>)

William Ansley

---

From: Jim Henley <jhenley at nas-corp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:23:29 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bjjp2 at aol.com [mailto:Bjjp2 at aol.com]
> Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 5:46 PM
> 
> Since the inhumi drink human blood and 
> appear to derive 

Ooh! It opens up some very interesting lines of inquiry.

Best,

Jim