Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n073

From: Josh Levitan <josh_levitan at hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:21:26 +0000

Allan Lloyd makes some pretty good points, most of which Alga responded to.  
However:

> >>The other thing that puzzles me is the dialogue on page 353 where Sinew
>claims that no-one gets bitten in Pajarocu. They agree that visitors do
>but natives of the town don't. Could it be the home brewed beer that is
>mentioned!<<

And Alga replied:

>Interesting! Wouldn't it be funny if that was the much-discussed "secret!" 
>I had simply assumed that Pajarocu was a sort of DMZ, though--don't mess 
>with us and we won't mess with you.

I read this as Pajarocu, because they were staging the trap with the lander, 
had a truce with the inhumi -- the inhumi wouldn't bite them because the 
humans allowed them to load up a lander full of meat/slaves for the home 
planet.  If the inhumi started attacking people in Pajarocu, they might get 
scared off and/or warn other people.

Narwhal
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com