Subject: Re: (whorl) The Ring

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:03:23 +0000

Actually, the whole ring business is going to bother me until I know what 
is going on with it, because it reminds me of something very strongly:
Thomas Covenant.  Yes--Horn rapes Seawrack, and she gives him a white/gold
ring with mysterious powers; as Covenant raped Lena, who (did she?  I don't
really remember) gives him a white-gold ring with mysterious powers.  If it
was anything else, I'd say the reference was obvious, but I so disliked the
Covenant books that I'm really hoping that future events will convince me this
resemblance is purely accidental.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com