Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n076

From: David Langford <ansible at cix.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:59:00 +0000

Alga wrote:

> the apparition of Patera Pike (LS1), which has caused a great deal of 
> fingerwork on many keyboards for these archives. (I still think it was 
> Quetzal, though.)

And Nutria wrote:

> [...] am inclined to agree
> with Alga that the ghost of Patera Pike is in fact Quetzal.

When members of this very list posed a number of questions to Wolfe back 
in 1997, Q27 and Wolfe's answer went as follows:

 Is Pike's ghost really Quetzal?
 No.
 
Of course it might still have been some other inhumu! I ran this material 
as part of an APA contribution, and it's still on my website at:

 www.ansible.demon.co.uk/cc/cc77.html#wolfe

Also Alex David Groce wrote, in the context of Horn's rape of Seawrack 
and the ring:

> Covenant raped Lena, who (did she?  I don't
> really remember) gives him a white-gold ring with mysterious powers.

Um, no: Covenant's ring is his wedding ring, from this world and from 
before his leprosy.

Clearly I'm feeling picky today!

Dave

David Langford
ansible at cix.co.uk | http://www.ansible.co.uk/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:35:45 +0000

>Um, no: Covenant's ring is his wedding ring, from this world and from 

Thank goodness--I just haven't read the Covenant books in so long that my
memory of the details is slowly eroding.  This lessens the spooky resemblance
considerably.

By the way, you can all drop the "David Groce" part.  "Alex" is plenty (the
stuffy signature is because I'm too lazy to get multiple signatures working
right with my Rube Goldberg mh mail interface to emacs).

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce