Subject: (whorl) White Gold and ghosts

From: Michael Purdy <mcp at jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:02:17 +0000

Hi folks,

	I'll join the delurking trend.
	I had two notes that I wanted to respond to.  First, to Alex's comments
about similarities between OBW and Thomas Covenant:  Covenant didn't get
his ring from Lena, the girl he raped.  He came into the Land wearing the
white gold, which was his wedding ring (which he still wore, even though he
was divorced).  Sorry to hear you didn't like the Covenant books--I did,
although I haven't reread them anywhere near as much as I've reread Wolfe.
	Second, on the "ghost in the middle of a novel" remark from Wolfe--this
makes me think of the narrator of Peace, who, unless I'm misremembering, is
revealed as a ghost at the end of the book.  Can't remember his name,
though, and don't have my copy of Peace handy.  Although no one would dare
to call Peace SF.  Hmm...have to give this some more thought.

Michael Purdy

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at crossover.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:49:59 +0000

>to call Peace SF.  Hmm...have to give this some more thought.

Dennis Weir. And it's not revealed at the end; it's revealed, very
obliquely, midway through. 

_Peace_ does have a science-fictional element: The factory built by
Dennis's "uncle" Julius manufactures a powdered orange drink made from
potato powder. And a lot of the stories embedded within _Peace_ are
fantastic--either fairy tales or supernatural horror. 

-- 
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies 
   kmaroney at crossover.com | (212) 777-1190