Subject: (whorl) Mucor question

From: Dennis G. Berdanis <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:50:57 +0000

Just one simple question really.  Why does Mucor seem to be the only one of
her *kind*?  I know she was a product of genetic manipulation gone awry, but
even if it was an accident, Blood thought it was a genetic talent he could
use.  Why wouldn't anyone else intentionally try to create another Mucor for
their use?

Dennis/Endy

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Jack Lyons <revjack at radix.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:16:20 +0000

>use.  Why wouldn't anyone else intentionally try to create another Mucor
for

Perhaps because the experiment demonstrated that while one could manipulate
the physical characteristics of a person, the emotional, intellectual and
spiritual aspects of that person proved to be beyond the control of the
scalpel and the test tube. Mucor may be a lab rat, but I wouldn't consider
her "manageable" - a trait that I assume her manipulators had in their
project requirements.

I'm sure that someone can provide a theist metaphor for this. :)

RJ
--
revjack at radix.net
stochasticgnosisthroughablativedissonance

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:19:49 +0000

>>use.  Why wouldn't anyone else intentionally try to create another Mucor

	Maybe they have. Remember, we only see a very small town in a small part
of Whorl. Lots of communities have doubtless raided the tanks. Clones of
Gene could write several hundred novels about other communities. Hey! Maybe
a SHARED WORLD series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
	Sorry. 
	I apologize. 
	Don't hit me. 
	Please. 
	Please don't hit me.

Nutria