Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n085

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:37:59 +0000

SBear whuffled:

> >>   In fact, is the blood theory WRONG?
> 
> To clarify, I don't mean *really* wrong, just a little different: that
> inhumi take up the memories/intelligence of people bitten by their mothers
> while they are in the egg (or whatever). Is that what you think too?

and I thought:
 
> >Not entirely. We know for a fact that the inhumi changed after feeding on
> >people. But I doubt that they take on the specifics of single people. It
> >would just be too odd. Sinew is probably a lot like his father (hence the
> >enmity), and Krait is modeling himself as a young Horn. I do think Krait
> >is a great character....
> 
> I did wonder how Krait came out quite so much like Sinew if all he had
> to work with was the genetic material in his blood. I like this explanation;
> Krait mimics Horn and comes out like Sinew. Thanks!

Yes, and it's important to remember, too, that the Horn Krait is mimicking is the original Horn, not the Horn who seems transformed later, not just in body but, we suspect strongly, somewhat in soul (or mental makeup) as well.

-alga

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com